Conestoga College makes no warranty or representation regarding any premises, landlords or leasing agents that are listed on this website or any links provided herein. The listings are simply provided as a convenience to assist students in locating possible housing opportunities.
Conestoga has not inspected or investigated any premises or links in any way, inclusion of these various websites or links shall not be construed as an endorsement or approval by Conestoga College.
Conestoga College disclaims any responsibility, among other thndition of any premises, terms of any leases, or compliance with any municipal or provincial rules or regulations established in the Landlord Tenant Act of Ontario.
All prospective tenants are strongly encouragemmon sense and good judgment when evaluating prospective rental units and landlords.
If you have questions about si any other rental documents, you may wish to seek legal advice.
There are lots of housing options for you to choose from depending on your needs and preferences. Be sure to find a place close to your campus and easily accessible by regular and frequent public transit.
Please note that on-campus Residence facilities are only offered to students at our Doon and Cambridge students, subject to availability. Students at other campuses must find off-campus or homestay placements.
Doon/Cambridge Campus Residence
- Who Can Apply?
- All students enrolled full-time at Conestoga can apply to Residence. Please note the Residence building is convenient to only Doon (Kitchener) and Cambridge campuses. For other campuses, please check other options provided on this page.
- How to apply?
- Apply through
My Housing Portal.
Take a look at Residence Rooms.
- When to apply?
- Spaces get filled several months before each intake, so please apply as soon as possible.
Your Conestoga College tuition account is separate from your residence fees account. Please do not instruct your banking institution to pay Conestoga College for your housing costs.
Please contact Residence if you have any questions:Conestoga College Residence
99 Conestoga College Boulevard
Phone: 519-895-2272 | Fax: 519-895-2688
For more details, visit: Doon campus Residence.
Live off-campus with other students or in your very own apartment! There are many options for off-campus housing in the community.
Where to find advertisements for student housing:
Please note: the following are not affiliated with, or monitored by Conestoga College.
- http://www.places4students.com and then search “Conestoga” and the campus you will be studying at
- http://www.kijiji.ca select “Kitchener/Waterloo” and then look for housing under “Real Estate” and then “room rentals and roommates”.
Please note that the following groups are not affiliated with, or monitored by Conestoga College, but many students find them useful for finding a roommate:
- Information about settling in Ontario
- How to understand “for rent” ads online
- Rights and responsibilities as a tenant
- How to avoid scams
When looking for rental accomodation, ask:
- Is the rental near Conestoga College? How long does it take to travel to the campus?
- How close is the grocery store/pharmacy/bus stop?
- Is the rental near different bus routes for easy travel?
- How early or late does the bus run?
- What is included in the rental price? (Gas, water, heat, electricity, internet, laundry, furnishings, parking)
When viewing potential rental accommodations:
- Take your camera or cellphone to take pictures.
- Walk around the building and neighbourhood. Do you feel comfortable?
- Do the doors have locks? Does each bedroom have its own lock?
- Ask if the entrance and street are well lit and safe to walk at night.
- Walk to the nearest bus stop.
- Who is responsible for cleaning? (indoors, lawn maintenance, snow shoveling, leaf collection)
- When is garbage and recycling collected?
- Are appliances in working order? (Stove, oven, refrigerator, washer, dryer)
- Are the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed?
- Are the fire exits easily accessible? Is there a fire extinguisher in the unit? Was it checked in the past year?
- Is there evidence of mildew, ceiling & wall cracks or rodents/cockroaches?
- Who and how many people are you sharing the unit? (male, female or coed?)
- What spaces within the unit are shared?
- Are there house rules? (smoking, pets, food, noise levels)
- Can family and friends visit and/or stay? Is permission/prior notice needed?
- Is the rental unit licensed? ***If unit needs a license and does not have one, the landlord is not allowed to rent the unit & city officials can evict you.***
When applying for a rental place, take:
- Proof of income / Letter of employment or enrollment
- Government Issued ID
- Credit Check
- References from past landlords
- Guarantor might be needed for apartment rentals
When renting a place, take:
- First month's rent on 1st day of lease.
- Last month's rent deposit.
- Signed copy of your lease.
- Note your landlord's contact information.
- Bedding and furniture if not included.
- Has the landlord promised to clean/paint or repair the unit before you move in? ***If so, get it in writing!***
- Take pictures of unit on first day.
Homestay is a program that matches international students with local host families to live with while studying at Conestoga.
Conestoga College partners with Canada Homestay Network Inc. (CHN) to administer our Homestay program.
- a private bedroom
- food for three meals per day
- laundry facilities and Internet connectivity and
- the opportunity to live with a Canadian family
Effective September 1, 2017, homestay fees will be $875 for four weeks with a minimum eight-week placement required, plus a $235 placement fee.
Didn’t secure housing before you arrived?
If you do not find housing before you arrive in Canada, you must book temporary accommodation. Book in advance with a valid credit card by phone or online through the hotel’s website or other booking websites such as booking.com, expedia.ca and hotels.com. Don’t forget to identify yourself as a Conestoga student when booking to receive discount rates.
For Doon and Cambridge campus students:
Four Points Sheraton
210 Preston Parkway, Cambridge ON, N3H 5N1 - 1-519-635-2690
Distance to Doon Campus: 6 mins by taxi, 15 mins by public bus
Distance to Cambridge Campus: 5 mins by taxi, 7 mins by public bus
Kitchener Inn & Suites
4355 King St E, Kitchener, ON N2P 2E9
Distance to Doon Campus: 10 mins by taxi, 40 mins by public bus
Distance to Cambridge Campus: 12 mins by taxi, 50 mins by public bus
2899 King St E., Kitchener ON, N2A 1A6 - 1-519-894-3500
Distance to Doon Campus: 11 mins by taxi, 30 mins by public bus
Distance to Cambridge Campus: 10 mins by taxi, 50 mins by public bus
Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre
700 Hespeler Road, Cambridge ON N3H 5L8 – 1 (866) 622-1505
Distance to Doon Campus: 9 mins by taxi, 47 mins by public bus
Distance to Cambridge Campus: 8 mins by taxi, 37 mins by public bus
Radisson Hotel Kitchener Waterloo
2960 King St. E, Kitchener ON N2A 1A9 – (519) 894-9500
Distance to Doon Campus: 11 mins by taxi, 34 mins by public bus
For Waterloo campus students
Inn of Waterloo & Conference Centre
475 King St. N, Waterloo ON N2J 2Z5 – (519) 804-1130
Distance to Waterloo Campus: 4 mins by taxi, 18 mins by public bus
Best Western Plus Waterloo
547 King St, N - (519) 884-0100
Distance to Waterloo Campus: 6 mins by taxi, 20 mins by public bus
Radisson Hotel Kitchener Waterloo
2960 King St. E, Kitchener ON N2A 1A9 – (519) 894-9500
Distance to Waterloo Campus: 10 mins by taxi, 33 mins by public bus
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Waterloo - St. Jacobs Area
14 Benjamin Road, Waterloo, Ontario N2V 2J9--(519) 514-7862
Distance to Waterloo Campus: 8 mins by taxi, 40 mins by public bus
For Guelph campus students
Comfort Inn Guelph
480 Silvercreek Parkway, Guelph, ON N1H 7R5
This hotel is about 10 minutes from Guelph campus by public transit.
Days Inn Guelph
785 Gordon Street, Guelph, ON N1G 1Y8
This hotel is about 45 minutes from Guelph campus by public transit.
University of Guelph Conference Services (only available from May to August)
University of Guelph, University Centre 432, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1
1-519-824-4120 Ext. 52353
This option is only available from May to August.
For Brantford campus students
Days Inn Brantford
460 Fairview Drive, Brantford, ON N3R 7A9
This hotel is about 10 minutes from Brantford campus by taxi (approximate taxi fare is $25) or one hour by public transit.
Best Western Brantford Hotel and Conference Centre
19 Holiday Dr., Brantford, ON N3R 7J4
This hotel is about 10 minutes from Brantford campus by taxi (approximate taxi fare is $25) or 30 minutes by public transit.
Does the college provide me with accommodation?
No, the college does not provide students with short-term or long-term accommodation. It is the responsibility of the student to secure accommodation arrangements for themselves (and budget appropriately for the local cost of accommodations).
Who can I rent a room from?
There are many ways to choose a rental:
- You can choose to rent directly from a landlord, either in an apartment building or a private home.
- You can choose to rent from a student, taking over their lease in a “sublet.”
- You can choose to share rooms with students, if you have the landlord’s permission.
How much does it cost to rent a room?
Costs differ based on the size of the room, utilities, amenities offered (pool, gym, etc) and location. Don’t forget to check Google Maps to find out how you can travel to campus, and how long it will take you.
- Private room with shared bathroom and kitchen: approximately $425+ per month per person
- 1-bedroom apartment with private washroom and kitchen: approximately $1000+ per month
- Shared room: approximately $350+ per month (not always available – check with landlord)
Utilities (payments for heating, air-conditioning, water and electricity) as well as Wi-Fi may be additional to the rent you pay, so please ask your landlord before you sign papers.
Can I share a room with another student?
Please note that you need a landlord’s permission for room sharing.
For more accommodation information,
email Conestoga’s International Transition Coordinator.